Ok we can work through somethings… no problem. Lets say you co-sign for a loan to help a friend out and the friend defaults on the loan and it lands in your lap. Here’s what you do, you humble yourself and get free from that burden as soon as you can. (6:1-5)
Lets say that you have lost your job and are just sitting around at home enjoying the unemployment check. Not really looking for anything… Its time to wake up, get busy and look for work. Then look at your home and do the jobs you put off while you were employed. Do not sit around, do something and stay active. (6:6-11)
Now those items were important, in need of remembering. However the phrase that captured my attention today is found in 6:16….
“There are six things which the Lord hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him.”
I don’t know about you but I slowed down my reading here. I did not want to gloss over what those things were. If the Lord hates them… if they are an abomination to Him… we need to take notice and make sure we are not doing them. Here they are.
1. Haughty eyes, which is literally “High eyes” which describes a proud look and an arrogant heart. “I am better than”, “I have out grown that relationship”, “I am taking the high road”, “look at me”… the Lord hates this attitude.
2. A lying tongue
3. Hands that shed innocent blood.
4. A heart that devises wicked plans
5. Feet that run rapidly to evil
6. A false witness who utters lies – by the way that is the person that told you about the other person they have a problem with and should not have ever told you their problem with that person. Its also when we do the same thing. A false witness is not limited to being in a court setting.
7. The one who spreads strife among brothers. (6:17-19)
God says He hates… Hates these things. Hate is a strong word and just incase you missed the harshness of that word he adds..” they are an abomination to Him.”
Lord help us stay away from these actions in our personal lives and help us to stay away from the people who do these sort of things. Thank you for being straight forward with this list, our desire is to not participate in things that You hate.
What stood out to you today from the passage?